Saturday, April 5, 2008

Sea Lions!

October 20th

Today I had a unique & rare opportunity to observe sea lions in their natural habitat. I have seen them in aquariums swimming around swiftly and smoothly. Never before have I seen hundreds of them grouped on a rock with so many swimming and playing. They looked like they were having so much fun. Some were diving and frolicking while others seemed to surf along with the waves. We even watched some dive off the rock into the breaking waves. John told me they were steller sea lions. Since I don't know much about them, I don't even know how to spell their proper name.

While observing them, I watched intently, following one until I could no longer see it or it stopped moving. Every action or movement in the water was so swift and accurate. This is one creature that natural selection has truly gifted. Only if I were that adapted to my environment, I would feel at ease with my existence.

However, after watching them for some time, we proceeded down the road. I became upset. Only in America can people charge admission for watching animals in their natural habitat. Oh boy, I bet they sell ice cream too so people can satisfy their taste for sweets while walk ing around looking at these beautiful creatures in their natural environment.

I leave you with this. Here is good shot taken from the road. I did not have money to enter the Sea Lion Caves.

No comments: