Wednesday, April 9, 2008

A sad but amazing day!

October 21

Stopped at Alpha-Bit, a book/gift cafe in Mapleton, OR 97453. This place is fantastic. I had strawberry rhubarb pie & John had blueberry. Both were home made and both were delicious. A definite stop. Got a few book ideas too.

Today was a sad day for another reason. Today, John & I left the ocean for good. We left it's crashing waves, it's sand beaches, it's wildlife, and it's mystery. I'm going to miss falling asleep to the sound of breaking waves. I'm going to miss waking up in a dense fog caused by the moist air coming off the water. The ocean life will remain in my thoughts forever. The only comforting thought to me is that I can honestly say that I will be back to the coast some day.

Tonight we found the silence we were searching for when we started this trip. Fitting that this silence comes on the eve of our separation. We are the only ones here, just like we were always the last campers in all those Alaska campgrounds. The sound of a trickling stream in the back ground is soothing. It's not the ocean, but it is a lovely sound that sufficiently soothed my thoughts.

Both John and I sit in our tent tonight wondering what we will do next? What happens when we return to the city. I am afraid to split up. I feel safe right now. I will miss him. It's going to very different traveling alone in the desert.

This is an important moment in my maturation and development. For the first time in my life, I don't want to travel alone. Over the last few months, I've grown to love John like my brother and trust John. He has taught me a lot. I am so lucky.

Just a little history here. I think you all know by now that I love the outdoors. Prior to this trip, I did everything solo. Solo back packing. Solo racing. I just didn't like to have to accommodate other people in my plans. As I look back over time, this day truly was a sad but amazing day. We lost the ocean sounds. We were a day away from Eugene where John would return to Iowa and I would press on to Utah....Alone. As I look back, this truly was the turning point for me. I no longer wanted to do my crazy trips alone. I also think it was the point I realized I did not want to spend my life alone.

1 comment:

Captain Bob said...

I remember hitting a similar point in my life when being alone started feeling more like loneliness. Now I have a wife and kids and there is no alone time except for being on the bike.