Monday, January 28, 2008

Inside Passage

I've got a confession to make. I am a bit worried that I'll lose some of the readers because I got on a bus instead of toughing it out. Looking back, I still think it is was the right thing to do. Maybe I'm just justifying it. I don't know. One thing for sure is that it makes me want to go back and ride the section we bussed.

So, to keep you interested and coming back, I'll share this picture from the inside passage. Simply beautiful landscape. This is south of Haines, AK.



Haines is a very nice place located on the Chilkoot Inlet. Many folks board the ferries here, either heading south to the islands or heading north to Skagway to hike the famous Chilkoot. Many folks know it as the place for bald eagles. You see, bald eagles gather here. In fact, we saw so many while coming down the Haines Highway that I lost count. Chances are that if you've ever looked at a calendar that has bald eagle pictures, you've probably seen at least one picture from Haines.

John and I spent a few days here. Imagine, it rained the whole time. We hiked, rode around, looked at art, read books, checked out the fishing docks and just hung out. One of my favorite things to do in any old city is to walk through the town cemetery. No I'm not into death or anything dark like that. Cemeteries tell so many stories. I like to see if I can find the oldest grave stone. I like to look at the names. I also like to look to see what the average lifespans are of the settlers. Some cemeteries also have amazing artwork. So, so much can be learned from cemeteries.

After sitting it out in the rain for a few more days, we decided to move on and bought ferry tickets. First stop Juneau.

2 comments:

Guitar Ted said...

Jason, don't worry about losing us. It's been a slack few days on all "the networks" lately. (You know I kinda keep track of this and I bet you've seen that too)

Anyway, unfinished business.....yeah, I hear ya on that. It's why I have "got to" go finish DK 200 this year. Didn't "get er duuun" the first go 'round.

Must be a psychological trait of cyclists or something, I see it all the time.

Anywho, this Alaska stuff has me eyeballing my Voyageur again. Thanks for the inspirations.

MG said...

I have to agree with Guitar Ted, and add that knowing your limits, and when you're not matched up right with your conditions, is critical. You made the right call. Yeah, maybe it's not the gnarly story, but oh well, you're alive and healthy and well adjusted and not mentally scarred from the experience. And that's worth something. That's maturity talking. That's sanity talking. The voice of reason...

We're still reading, my brother.
:-)
MG