Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Fairbanks - Here we come!

Sept 11

85 miles
Avg Spd 11.5mph
7 hrs 15 min
"Harder than Hell!"
Arrived in Fairbanks

I'm finding great humor in how short I can make a journal entry. I think I must have been trying my best to sum up our days in as few words as possible. In my memory, John wrote page upon page. In fact, I think his ability to write made me write even less.

As I said in my last post, we were anxious to get to Fairbanks and turn south on the ALCAN Highway. Snow is coming. Fewer people are on the roads. Our mission was to get to Fairbanks and prepare for the next section. No pictures as we were all business in getting there. I pulled us for most of the 85 miles. I was starting to feel pretty darn good. Good thing, Utah is a long ways away from Fairbanks.

Sept 12
0 miles
Laundry
______________
- Get Matches
- Fuel - need another bottle
- Pants
- Dry bag?
- Socks
- Underwear
- Call Moss & REI
______________

Stayed 2nd night at Billy's Backpacker Hostel. Our 2nd run in with laundry today. The dryers ran out of propane so we had to pack our wet gear up and bike to another laundromat.

When we returned, Billy had made home made stew with fresh baked bread. It was the best bread I have ever had. Look forward to another night.

Restless is the word of the day.

I'm doing a double journal entry today. Why? Not much to say about Fairbanks and I am anxious to get on with the story, head south and ride the ALCAN Highway.

No comments: