Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Perspective

No bike stuff today. I'm working on some rack stuff, but it's not ready yet so today I thought I'd share a little bit of fun stuff about kids.

You always hear parents talking about how smart their kids are. Kids are smart. However, in some cases, I think one of the reasons that parents, including me, say this is that we aren't so smart.

Over the last couple of weeks, I've learned some things from my kids. Two weeks back my wife took a much deserved vacation and I got to spend a lot more quality time with my kids. As a direct result, I already blogged that I need to laugh more. I also got this gem that week.

Take a look at this picture.



One day when I was at home with my awesome kids, they asked me if we could do something. I don't remember what it was, but that is not important. I gave them the thumbs down, meaning that we couldn't do what they asked. My boy immediately flipped his thumb down and twisted his body looking up at his downward pointed thumb.

"Daddy, when you look at it like this, thumbs down is thumbs up!" After quite a bit of laughter, I confirmed that he was right.

How right you are. I don't know about you, but his perspective made me laugh a lot. Throughout the week, both my kids were doing this. Sort of became our little joke. And you know what, it's true. Thumbs down can easily be viewed as thumbs up. Our interpretations and world views are shaped by many things. One of those things is perspective. Sometimes, I know I see what I want to see. I pick my way to view a given situation. But, you know what? If I change my perspective, I just might see something else.

No comments: