Monday, January 21, 2008

Big Delta

56.6 miles
Avg Speed = 12.7
Time = 4 hours 28 minutes
Staying at Big Delta SRS

All day had a hide & seek game going with the Alaska Range. I'm not sure who was hiding? I think I'm more scared of crossing that mountain range again so I think I was hiding from it.

Rode next to the Tenana River. Flowing very rapidly. Took a few pictures of the Alaska range, nothing too spectacular.

We almost hit the offical ALCAN today. I took a few shots of remote highway though. Check it out! Sorry for the bad B&W scan here, but it's all I've got.



We rode mile after mile today looking at images like this. Way back when this trip started, this is the image I had in my mind of riding on a highway in Alaska. We had very little traffic. Nothing like the Parks Highway on the way to Denali. It was remote. On occasion, we were passed by a bus, a logging truck, an old beat up pick up truck, or a motor home. Honestly, I was a bit surprised at how remote this felt.

Why was there so little traffic? We are about to find out....

2 comments:

Jason said...

I have a bad feeling about the coming day's rides. Can't wait to read though ;)

MG said...

Man, I'm curious too... And even with a post on top of this, I still don't know quite yet.